Civil Beat Law Center Staff Attorney
The Law Center seeks a permanent full-time or part-time staff attorney in Honolulu, Hawai`i. The staff attorney reports to the Executive Director and works on a wide range of matters, including informal drafting assistance and advice for public records requesters and individuals attending government meetings; giving educational presentations and preparing education materials; representing clients or the Law Center in litigation, administrative appeals, and discussions with government officials; research studies and data analysis projects; website and social media administration and communications; training law students and recent law school graduates; guidance and concern letters to government agencies; coalition building; and occasional lobbying. The staff attorney will be expected to work collaboratively and think proactively about projects that advance the Law Center’s mission.
Employment is subject to a six-month probationary period, and continued employment would be contingent on admission to the Hawai`i bar within one year of the start date.
Primary job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Trial court and appellate litigation
- Fact research, legal analysis, and drafting to investigate, respond to, and advise members of the public regarding transparency concerns
- Public speaking
- Tracking legislation
- Responding to calls to the Law Center’s hotline
- Five years litigation experience with a preference for candidates who have some appellate litigation experience
- Member of the Hawai`i bar or eligible to be admitted to the Hawai`i bar
- Excellent legal research and writing skills
- Able to communicate complex legal issues clearly and succinctly
- Demonstrated ability to work and collaborate with diverse personalities in a multicultural environment
- Interest in promoting open government
- Self-motivated and detail-oriented
- Integrity, good judgment, and strong interpersonal skills
- Travel may be required
- No prior knowledge of public records or open meetings laws required
Salary commensurate with experience with access to a competitive benefits package.
Submit a cover letter, résumé, writing sample, law school transcript, and contact information for three references to Brian Black by e-mail at email@example.com.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
The Law Center is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all qualified individuals to apply.