In re Civil Beat Law Center for the Public Interest
The Law Center objected to the closure of the courtroom for a pretrial release hearing in United States v. Uskanli, 17-MJ-563 BMK. After the Government moved to detain the Defendant without bail, the Defendant asked the Court to seal the hearing. The court initially granted the Defendant’s request, but reopened the issue after the Associated Press raised concerns about the public’s constitutional right of access under the First Amendment. At a hearing on September 21, the Defendant withdrew his motion to seal the pretrial release hearing. The Law Center’s objection is filed under 17-MC-269 JMS KJM.
- United States Motion to Detain Defendant without Bail (5/22/17)
- Defendant’s Motion to Seal Hearing (9/18/17)
- Associated Press Letter (9/19/17)
- Star-Advertiser and Associated Press Opposition to Motion to Seal Hearing, filed in In re Oahu Publications, Inc., 17-MC-268 JMS KJM (9/20/17)
- Law Center Objection to Motion to Seal Hearing (9/20/17)