Judges for Justice v. Nakamoto
Judges for Justice, a Washington nonprofit, filed a motion to unseal in In re Schweitzer, S.P. No. 07-1-0007. The only filings in the case (two stipulations) had been sealed without explanation. The motion to unseal outlined the recent Hawai`i Supreme Court cases that require a circuit court to explain why filings continue to be sealed. The Honorable Henry T. Nakamoto denied the motion to unseal and ordered monetary sanctions against Judges for Justice because it was not a party to the Schweitzer proceeding. On February 21, 2020, Judges for Justice filed a petition for writs of prohibition and mandamus with the Hawai`i Supreme Court, challenging the continued sealing without justification as well as the refusal to consider, and order of sanctions for filing, a non-party motion to unseal. No. SCPW-20-85.
- Petition for Writ of Prohibition and Writ of Mandamus (2/21/20)
- Brief of Amicus Curiae Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press (6/10/20)
- Schweitzer Response to Petition (7/6/20)
- Judge Nakamoto Response to Petition (7/9/20)
- State of Hawai`i Response to Petition (7/9/20)